Monday, December 13, 2010

Crossing the threshold

I have been laboring on the home for many hours most days, and still have a while to go yet. But, by God's provision and strength, much has been done.

The front of the house, which not long ago looked like this

moto_0232 

now looks like this

moto_0246

and the chimney adapter has been put in, hopefully I can purchase the stove pipe to finish it this weekend.

I am trimming the doors and windows in rough-sawn cedar that comes from trees we cleared last summer. That is nice, to see the wood taken from the ground and used back on the property. I intend, Lord willing, to do a step-by-step on the milling process from log to lumber, soon. This is what the windows look like after they are trimmed out.

moto_0244

I put wide sills on them so Kara will have many places for things, and so I will have adequate resting space for my morning coffee mug. Few things are more useless and frustrating than narrow window sills.

The Lord provided 3 used exterior doors for a significant discount over new ones. The problem was, two of them were just doors, with no casings, and my past attempts at building casings and flush-fitting hinges were none too good. So I bought a chisel at Lowe’s, sharpened it till it would shave hair, milled some red oak logs down, and set to building casings. I will, hopefully post on that process, and have pics soon. I will say that my hinges turned out very well, almost professional. Now I am emboldened to try more.

Today I built and installed the threshold for my office door today. I started with the 2” thick oak plank seen here

SANY0245

and cut it to length, then beveled both sides to make a smoother transition.

SANY0246

The interior side has the slighter bevel, to allow the door to seal thoroughly. the board was too thick, so I used a table saw to remove as much material as possible, then went to my beloved new Stanley chisel for the rest.

SANY0247

SANY0248

With the slab thinned and cut to length, I installed it in the opening. (bonus: you get to see the custom hand-made casing!)

SANY0249

For all you fellow OCD-people out there…. yes, the one screw is off-center. It is my office door, and I don’t care.

One thing done, on to the next. I worked on the pantry walls, which I am paneling in 1/2” cedar. First, I cut the planks to width, putting a  15-degree bevel on both edges. This will enable a good fit, even though I would prefer to tongue&grove the edges, but don’t have the tools for that.

SANY0250

Here you can see the beveled edges

SANY0251

Thankfully, my log was long enough that the planks fit full-width across the closet, with no seams. I worked till I ran out of 1/2” cedar. Now I’ll have to find another good log.

SANY0254

SANY0256

So there is a house update, I will try to post another soon. Maybe later this week. Thanks for reading!

 

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment